From: Nuno R. L. Ferreira (nunolf_at_ci.uc.pt)
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 13:41:57 CDT

Hi *

I already asked this question once (29Mar05 - Python, numpy, and so
on ....), but
since than, I had lots of other stuffs to do. So, I'm re-asking again, cause
I really want to get this plugin up and running.
I apologize J. Stone, since at that time, he tryed to give me some clues.

I'm running vmd 1.8.3 on a linux box (Mandrake 10.1).
After installing vmd on my box, when calling ied I get:

vmd > gopython /home/nuno/software/ied/ied-2.02/ied.py
Info) Starting Python...
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Could not find Numeric Python version 22.0.
ImportError: No module named numeric_version
Info) Text interpreter now Python
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "VMD", line 19, in ?
ImportError: No module named vmdnumpy
Info) Text interpreter now Tcl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/opt/vmd1/scripts/python/Tkinter.py", line 59, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

Ok. After reading the mailing list, it is said that python 2.2 and Numeric
22.0 is needed. My box has python 2.3 and a newer version of numpy.

J. Stone posted pre-built python libraries on vmd site. After exporting
PYTHONHOME (export PYTHONHOME=/opt/lib_LINUX-rh9-with-fpectl), I've tryed to
install a fresh vmd.

This time, when I call ied I get:

vmd > gopython /home/nuno/software/ied/ied-2.02/ied.py
Info) Starting Python...
Info) Text interpreter now Python
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "VMD", line 21, in ?
  File "/opt/vmd/scripts/python/Tkinter.py", line 59, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: libtk8.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
direct
ory
Info) Text interpreter now Tcl
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 2, in ?
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'tkinter'

Numpy does not give me any error, but I get an error similar to what was
reported by other users. I do not understand why python is calling a tk8.3
shared object. LM10.1 has tk/tcl 8.4 installed !!!

It seems as if something wrong is happening with tcl/tk.

Some insights about this?
Nuno

P.S. Options used to install vmd, were the default ones:
LINUX OPENGL ACTC FLTK TK IMD SPACEBALL LIBTACHYON VRPN TCL PYTHON PTHREADS
NUMPY SILENT

Nuno Ricardo Santos Loureiro da Silva Ferreira
Ph.D student
Grupo de Química Biológica
Departamento de Química
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Universidade de Coimbra
3004-535 Coimbra
Portugal
www.biolchem.qui.uc.pt
\" Do not worry about your dificulties in mathematics.
   I can assure you that mine are still greater.\"
                                       e=mc2