From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 14:02:18 CDT

There's one caveat with this approach. CHARMM and psfgen won't always put
atoms in the same order in the psf file. NAMD and VMD always assume that
the psf, pdb, and dcd files have the same atom ordering. (The psfgen
coordpdb command is the only exception to this.) If you generate a
trajectory file using a psf file from psfgen, and then try to read the
trajectory using a new psf file generated in CHARMM this may bite you.
This is a general property of trajectory files since most formats don't
include atom name information.

If you want to use CHARMM for analysis then you might have to use CHARMM
to generate the psf file in the first place. Translating trajectories
etc. between different toolchains is an unsolved problem, AFAIK.

-Jim