From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 17:05:50 CDT

Hi,
  One thing you can do to verify whether VMD is finding your
Mesa/OpenGL shared libraries is to execute it like this:
  vmd -dispdev text

If it starts up normally, then it's finding the libraries, and you're
having a different problem. If not, it should print the error it is
encountering when it starts. Let us know what you find out.