From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 19:41:03 CDT

Hi,
  I just got back from an out-of-town meeting.
Other people have been running VMD 1.8.3 on MacOS 10.4 successfully,
so it can definitely be done.

Two obvious things to check on your new machine are:
  1) do you have /bin/csh installed on your 10.4 machine
  2) I assume you have Terminal.app installed on your 10.4 machine
  3) Is your .cshrc or .tcshrc buggy? If you're not sure, try
     briefly renaming .cshrc or .tcshrc to .cshrc.bak or something, and
     see if VMD starts then. If so, you've got a problem in your .cshrc.
     A common mistake I've seen at least 15 times is a line like:
       source .alias
     Which has a relative path. A corrected version would be:
       source ~/.alias

Those are the most likely causes of the type of startup problem you're
seeing. If you check these items and still have problems, let us know.

  John