From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 10:27:58 CDT

Hi,
  It sounds like there's some sort of problem with the network
setup on your Linux machine. We didn't change anything noteworthy
in the MSMS sockets interface for VMD, and it still works fine for us
on all of our Linux machines here, so there may be some other problem
occuring there. We have added a new VMD environment variable that may
make it easier for you to get around this problem. Try setting this
environment variable prior to running VMD:
 setenv VMDMSMSUSEFILE 1

Try that and let us know if you still have trouble with MSMS.
This forces VMD to talk to MSMS through the file-based interface
rather than with the sockets interface, it should work even in the case
that you are having trouble with the sockets interface.