From: Michel Espinoza-Fonseca (mef_at_ddt.biochem.umn.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 16:08:26 CDT

Hi,
First, to build a water shell around an atom (or a group of atoms) you
need both pdb and psf files of your system. In this case, you can build
your pdb and psf files of a K ion by using psfgen. For one atom it is
really straightforward.
After that, you can add the water shell around your ion using the
following line in vmd (in the command line, assuming that the psf and
pdb files you're creating have the name "potassium.psf" and
"potassium.pdb", and that they are in your VMD working directory)

solvate potassium.psf potassium.pdb -o potassium-solvated -s WT -b 2.5
-t 10

-o option is the output name (it will create potassium-solvated.psf and
potassium-solvated.pdb)

-b is the boundary between your ion and the solvent (in Angstroms)
-t is the thickness of the water shell (in this case, using this
example, it'll be the "margin" between the ion and the boundary of the
shell, in Angstroms).

I hope it helps! Please make me know if you have further questions :)
Peace,
Michel