From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 14:10:38 CST

Josh,
  I just loaded the structure you sent me 5 times as you described, but
it worked fine for me (see transcript below). Can you tell me more about
your machine? Do you get different results if you load the structure as
a PDB rather than as a COR file? I'll check this out on some machines here
and see if I'm able to reproduce your problem on one of the other machines.

vmd > mol new 3.c.a.700-1000.avg.cor
vmd > mol new 3.c.a.700-1000.avg.cor
vmd > mol new 3.c.a.700-1000.avg.cor
vmd > mol new 3.c.a.700-1000.avg.cor
vmd > mol new 3.c.a.700-1000.avg.cor
vmd > set a0 [atomselect 0 "name CA"]
atomselect0
vmd > set a1 [atomselect 1 "name CA"]
atomselect1
vmd > set a2 [atomselect 2 "name CA"]
atomselect2
vmd > set a3 [atomselect 3 "name CA"]
atomselect3
vmd > set a4 [atomselect 4 "name CA"]
atomselect4
vmd > llength [$a0 get index]
106
vmd > llength [$a1 get index]
106
vmd > llength [$a2 get index]
106
vmd > llength [$a3 get index]
106
vmd > llength [$a4 get index]
106

Can you just do that and tell me what happens on your machine?
Do you get any warnings when VMD loads the structure?