From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 13:08:22 CST

Assa,
  How large are the BRIX format map files you're loading?
At present VMD loads the entire dataset, not just a subset of
the BRIX file, so you'll need enough memory to load the density
map, and enough memory for the volume gradient map that VMD will
calculate for use in shading isosurfaces, etc. When VMD loads the
BRIX file, it should be printing memory usage messages as it creates
the various internal data structures for rendering. What does it say
when it loads your map file?