From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 06 2005 - 21:46:07 CST

James,
  By running VMD with that special environment variable set, VMD is
disabling use of all OpenGL extensions, and skips trying to use
multisample antialiasing, stereo, and the stencil buffer. It still
runs, but all of the advanced graphics features are disabled. This
is only intended as a desparate measure to let you run until you have
a more stable video driver.