From: Benjamin Goldsteen (bzgnyc_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 18:04:44 CST

One alternative for stereo on Linux is the 3Dlabs Wildcat VP line. The
VP 760 model runs under $300. The drawback is you can't use the
standard XFree86 X11 implementation -- you have to buy XiG's Summit
commercial, supported X11 implementation (http://www.xig.com). It
costs about $120. While the Wildcat/Summit combination gives you the
advantage of commercial support, you loose the advantage of free,
community support. Compared to an Nvidia Quadro FX1100 at nearly twice
the price or the ATI FireGL X3-256 at more than twice the price, it is
worth considering.

P.S.It wasn't mentioned whether the target computer has AGP of PCI-X.
If the latter, the AGI FireGL V3200 might be worth considering at just
over $300. As John said, though, it isn't clear if ATI got stereo
working under Linux with their latest drivers.

Best,
Ben