From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 18 2004 - 10:11:18 CST

Paul,
  If you've tried the suggestions I gave Cheri, the next thing to do is
to email me the output of the command:
  vmd -dispdev text

I'm guessing that there may be something wrong with the OpenGL libraries
on your machine, but we'll know more precisely once you do that quick test
and tell me what you get. What version of Linux are you running?