From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 15:37:46 CDT

Dear VMD-L,
  I'm happy to announce that the third public alpha version
of VMD 1.4 is available at the VMD web site under the VMD 1.4
specific web pages:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.4/

This release of VMD adds more functionality to the Windows version
that wasn't there previously, including stereoscopic display
support, improved detection (and usage) of OpenGL hardware
acceleration on Windows. Various small bug fixes have also
been made in the windows version of VMD. We ask that users of
the Windows versions of VMD please report installation problems
and/or bugs that are not already listed on the VMD 1.4a3 release notes page:
   http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.4/relnotes.html

On Unix, several bugs with graphics window placement have
been fixed, and the code now runs on Compaq/DEC Alpha systems.

Many platform independent changes have been made to the code recently
to improve performance, portability and ease of compilation.
There have also been a number of bug fixes which affect all versions
of VMD.

This release of VMD also includes new scalable font code contributed
by Dr. Charles Schwieters. (which coincidentally is much more portable
than our previous font code) Thanks Charles!

Thanks for using VMD!
  The VMD developers

Theoretical Biophysics Group   Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute              http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/
University of Illinois         Phone:  (217) 244-3349
405 N. Mathews  Ave              FAX:  (217) 244-6078
Urbana, IL 61801, USA          Unix Is Good For You!!!