From: Dr. David Gregory (davidg_at_mill.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 28 1999 - 08:31:57 CDT

John Stone wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > Having just completed the installation of VMD on my machine (an O2
> > running 6.5.3), I find that when I type 'vmd' the winterm and menus
> > appear, but no display window.
>
> Are you using virtual desktops?
> If so, then this is probably the cause of the problem.
> VMD normally places the graphics window at a predetermined location
> based on the contents of the .vmd_init file (which will be eliminated
> in VMD 1.4 in favor of other mechanisms...)
>
> > I can load a molecule and the terminal
> > acknowledges that it been loaded and I can modify the display by typing
> > commands in the terminal, but no display of any kind, not even an empty
> > display window; no display window at all!
>
> It has got to be there, but you're not seeing it because its showing
> up on another screen or is "off the screen".
>
> > Also, how do I get VMD to use the local copy of the vmd_help.html file
> > instead of the one at
> > www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/. Using the internet version when I have a
> > local copy seems unnecessary.
>
> The internet version is updated when links or text change (for example, the
> links to the users guides and such already changed in the internet
> version from what was shipped with VMD 1.3)
> I would hope that loading the internet version doesn't pose a significant
> delay for you, if it does, or if you're not directly connected to the net
> then I can see your point. I'll look into this.
>
> > I probably just missed something during the installation (using the
> > configure script and 'make install') . Otherwise, brilliant program!
>
> See if you can find the graphics window hiding on another desktop or
> in a task list somewhere, its undoubtably mapped to the X screen
> somewhere, but maybe not in a visible area. I've had people report
> the same problem on some linux machines. For VMD 1.4 I'm going to
> try and eliminate this kind of problem in "default installs" by turning
> off the auto-positioning code unless the user really wants it to behave
> this way... (for those of us that don't use virtual desktops etc, its
> a nice feature, but there are an increasing number of people running into
> this problem, so it may be time to find a nicer way of doing this.)
>
> Thanks for using VMD!!
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> --
>
> Theoretical Biophysics Group Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> Beckman Institute http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/
> University of Illinois Phone: (217) 244-3349
> 405 N. Mathews Ave FAX: (217) 244-6078
> Urbana, IL 61801, USA Unix Is Good For You!!!

Thanks for your help.

I wondered if the display might be off-screen somewhere, but didn't pursue
this line of inquiry, since the values that position the screen in the
.vmd_init file are the same as in vmd-1.2. Anyway, I set these values to 0
and that brought the screen back onto my desktop (I don't run vmd when I use
virtual desktops; only on my main (home?) desktop)

Since the vmd_help.html file is updated on a regular basis, It make sense to
use the internet version of this file (I have little trouble in receiving
it). I was more curious about changing this behavior given is presence in the
distribution, but thanks for letting me know.

It's good to have vmd working again!

Regards,

David Gregory

--