From: Thomas Ehmer (tehmer_at_ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de)
Date: Mon Dec 29 1997 - 07:34:06 CST

Hi.
We also had the stereo mode problem on a SGI Octane (1xRS10000) and
crystaleyes 3d set under IRIX 6.4.

The window splitted into two separate screenes instead of a single stereo
overlay screen.
We are also using the precompiled version for IRIX5 and it works without
mayor problems.

This is how we managed to fix the problem with the crystaleyes 3d system:

download at ftp://ftp.ks.uiuc.edu/pub/mdscope/vmd
the files:
offstereo_impact and onstereo_impact.

place them in your local system at the location
/usr/sbin/
and RENAME them into onstereo and offstereo (without the _impact)
then restart your system and reload the vmd program.

perhaps you can change the entry in the offstereo file to:

setenv DISPLAY :0
/usr/gfx/setmon -n 76HZ

a hint:
sometimes if there are too many control windows open, they do not
disappear when in stereo mode. Also the main menu window remains visible
in the stereo mode and sometimes makes it difficult to get the propper
visual effect. Perhaps somebody knwos what to do?

good look and enjoy it, it is really fantastic.
Thomas Ehmer
tehmer_at_ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de

---
Dipl. Phys. Thomas Ehmer