From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2024 - 10:46:16 CST

The VMD installation instructions clearly describe how you can customize
the installation by changing both the path to the installation location and
the name and location of the vmd launch script (i *never* install VMD into
/usr/local but always into $HOME/.local and I sometimes use multiple vmd
executables called vmd_old, vmd_new, vmd_alpha etc.).

All you need to do is carefully and correctly follow the instructions.