From: Vermaas, Josh (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2023 - 08:57:13 CST

Hi Fred,

How many frames do you have loaded when this happens? 500k particles really isn’t that much to be drawing lines for normally, although some have more bonds drawn than others. I think there are two possibilities:

  1. Under RAM pressure (like when you have a lot of trajectory loaded), many linux systems are set up to use hard drive space as swap. This is terrible for performance, as the latency for most hard drives is much higher than RAM. You can check this pretty easily with “top” to see how much memory you still have available.
  2. Are you *sure* you are using NVIDIA drivers? Does “nvidia-smi” return something sane? Admittedly a T1000 is on the older side, but if you are using the open-source NVIDIA drivers, you will have a bad time in OpenGL applications.

-Josh