From: Paweł Kędzierski (pawel.kedzierski_at_pwr.edu.pl)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2023 - 02:36:17 CDT

Hi Gianluca,

On Thu, Nov 2, 2023 at 4:41 PM Gianluca Interlandi
<gianluca_at_u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > Have you considered using a remote desktop solution instead of ssh?
> Over
> > here we use Nice DCV.
>
> I am considering such an option. My understanding is that rdesktop works
> only to connect to a windows server.
If you have the permissions to install xrdp on the Linux server, it
works good with both proprietary MS client "Remote Desktop Connection"
and the open client xfreerdp. Xrdp runs an user Xorg session on the
server and only transfer the rendered graphics over the net. It is much
faster than ssh -X. I didn't test it with nvidia drivers myself, but I
would give it a try. Previously we used X2Go which implements its own
Xserver and GLX, and its GLX implementation is too old for some apps,
notably these using Qt5 libraries. While VMD worked equally well with
X2Go and with rdesktop/xrdp, our experience with xrdp is better.
Greetings,
Pawel