From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2023 - 16:46:05 CDT

Hi Axel!

Thanks for your reply.

> This rarely works unless you have identical OS, X11, and OpenGL software
> on both sides.

So you are saying that having the same GPU with proprietary drivers may
not help if everything else is different.

> It most often breaks when the remote machine has more recent libraries
> than the local one.

In my situation it's the other way around, the local machine has more
recent libraries.

> So moving the data and running VMD locally is often the best solution.

I found `sshfs` to be practical. Only caveat is that sshfs truncates the
time stamp to the seconds, i.e.,

Folder mounted with sshfs:
> ls -lt --full-time test.trj
14:00:25.000000000 -0700 test.trj

ssh to the remore machine:
> ls -lt --full-time test.trj
14:00:25.720541063 -0700

So I only use sshfs to read the trajectories locally with VMD but if I
need to write new files I do it on the remote machine after logging in
with ssh. Running VMD remotely is useful for example when performing an
analysis that can only be done when VMD is in graphics mode. This used to
be the case for example with parseFEP, but newer implementations of VMD
allow parseFEP to be run through a script in text mode.

Best,

    Gianluca

                     https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://gianluca.today/__;!!DZ3fjg!412M8yGjfeX0sUmtFsvdcCQA9zfX5nVk9NESCI1-fOjrDt9X3otpuD92UeSyaUql4ZZey8OFNgQ9WqTOCbLCVwYhht8$