From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2023 - 11:13:20 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, as I described before, this isn't a question of recompiling or
software, this is purely a GPU memory capacity issue.
You can force VMD to run QuickSurf on the CPU by disabling VMD's use of
CUDA by setting the environment variable VMDNOCUDA to 1 prior to launching
VMD, e.g. according to your linux shell:
/bin/tcsh:
  setenv VMDNOCUDA 1
/bin/bash:
  export VMDNOCUDA=1

Ultimately, GPUs that only have 2GB of memory are going to be limited
in terms of how usable they are for QuickSurf or GPU-accelerated ray tracing.
Both of these are memory intensive, and the SLURM parameter you're passing
that is only asking for 1028MB should be raised to encompass 95% of the 2GB
of GPU ram on your P600 GPUs if you want to do anything with them.
Otherwise you're probably better off just telling VMD not to use them
since they are memory-starved for the purposes VMD intends...

Best,

--
Research Affiliate, NIH Center for Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/