From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2023 - 23:05:51 CDT

Hi,
  While is almost certainly possible to directly send frames into a video
encoder like ffmpeg (e.g., by writing a frame sequence to a unix domain
socket, named pipe, or similar input mechanism), it likely wouldn't buy
you significant performance gain, and you'd lose the ability to
do multi-pass encoding, since the video encoder couldn't "rewind"
and retry encoding frame sequences that create bitrate
control or allocation challenges.
Multi-pass video encoding yields the highest overall quality vs. bit rate,
but encoders that support this need to be able to random access the input.
For a long movie sequence, the input can be quite large (far too much
to hold in RAM).

Regarding APNG: Looking around at the mainstream PNG encoders or decoders
that I've used in the past, none of them seem to support APNG yet.
There's a couple of unofficial APNG patches floating around for libpng
if you felt really motivated to hack in support.

Best,
  John

--
Research Affiliate, NIH Center for Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/