From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2022 - 15:12:00 CDT

Hi,
  I just saw this and I have to correct the misinterpretation of the license:
NO, you do NOT need a commercial license to be able to use VMD to make
images that are sold.

The license terms clearly state that you do NOT need a commercial VMD
license if you are just using the program.

The commercial VMD license is only needed in cases when VMD --itself--
will be redistributed to third parties, or in cases when someone wants
to incorporate the VMD source code into other programs that will themselves
be redistributed to third parties.
So long as VMD and its source code aren't being redistributed or sold,
you don't need a commercial license.

Best regards,
  John

--
Research Affiliate, NIH Center for Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/