From: Josh Vermaas (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2022 - 16:51:57 CDT

Hi Max,

To make the surfaces into STL files, you can use the rendering
interface. However, you want a volume, so I think what you want is to
abuse the ability for VMD to make density maps from molecular
geometries. The MDFF plugin is what I'm most familiar with
(https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/mdff/), using mdff sim
with appropriate arguments to recapitulate what I see on the screen
using a quicksurf representation. Note that you will need to choose a
threshold value, since the dx files that you generate will have non-zero
entries pretty far away from actual atomic densities.

-Josh

--
Josh Vermaas
vermaasj_at_msu.edu