From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 05 2022 - 23:02:21 CDT

Jason,
  One of my colleagues has completely rewritten the RMSD tools (all 3)
so that they only use one layout manager at a time, which had been violated
by the old code. With Tcl/Tk 8.6.x and later, the Tk GUI now enforces the
requirement that only a single widget layout manager be active for a window
at a time, and this is why the problem hadn't occured with older builds of
VMD. We're busily making these corrections to other plugins that have
the same issue. Once we've done a few more and do a bit more testing,
I'll see about posting the latest builds.

Best,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/