From: Gumbart, JC (gumbart_at_physics.gatech.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 31 2022 - 10:51:07 CDT

With regards to your first question, yes, absolutely it helps. But if an atom is completely buried, it’s definitely less sensitive to the water interactions, but not completely immune. The danger though is that it ends up as a “dumping ground” for excess charge while the more accessible atoms get optimized. Note that RESP suffers from the same problem. We discussed such challenges in this paper: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5980237/__;!!DZ3fjg!qLKMT80wQzM-4j2gR3n8Xew_oq3Z7ilwEoyQrK-Su31agpUhsdpBVIE-LZZPCwq4vw$

We ultimately settled on a combination of RESP and Natural Population Analysis, with the latter for the buried charges.

Best,
JC