From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 02 2021 - 10:04:56 CST

Hi FX, I just tested building your plugin together with VMD on CentOS 7
Linux, which supports C++11 in full and is the same OS that John used to
create the Linux builds of VMD 1.9.4 alpha that we're all using:
https://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Development/Download/download.cgi?PackageName=VMD
I also included the typical dependencies (OpenGL, CUDA, OptiX RTX, OSPRay,
..) that John also uses in his official builds.

Your code builds okay, with nothing special worth mentioning. I'll contact
you privately with a couple of usage questions, since I'm unfamiliar with
the CIF format, but have colleagues who would benefit from your plugin.

For future record, I copied your file into molfile_plugin/src, downloaded
the GEMMI repository into the molfile_plugin folder, and used the attached
patch for the plugin tree. It is a good idea to also build VMD itself with
C++11, for which a companion patch is available here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://raw.githubusercontent.com/giacomofiorin/vmd-patches/master/c*2B*2B11/c*2B*2B11.diff__;JSUlJQ!!DZ3fjg!s6un4bHnuPcTmk2knQAu6SfgVB1cAWVhpfyIGawnMpiHQkgY4-lTWZ8T0LI63GDXDg$ >.
The above are fairly straightforward steps, but are worth mentioning anyway
for reproducibility purposes (the UIUC license prevents distributing full
packages, especially with modifications).

John, I sincerely hope that the above can help you in your effort *before*
you finalize 1.9.4.

Giacomo