From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2021 - 11:31:47 CST

Hi,
  This is the only report of this kind that I've ever seen.
Given that, I would check whether the .msi file was corrupted during
download, which is a fairly frequent cause of trouble. Unbeknownst to
many users, large file downloads (e.g. VMD installation images) can get
cached in web proxy systems used by campuses and/or internet service
providers, and I've even seen cases where re-downloading the same file
while on the same network, results in a corrupted outcome due to a
corrupted cached file. I would start out by re-downloading the VMD .msi
installer, and if that yields the same outcome, let me know and we'll
run a checksum on the file you downloaded and go from there.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/