From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2021 - 15:59:52 CST

Hi,
  I just wrote another suggestion for the previous topic, which when using
evenly-spaced data values, would permit one to use the built-in color scale
GUI to generate a color scale with a specific number of colors, and then
map them to the evenly-spaced data values. For cases that are irregularly
spaced, I'm afraid one has to write a little script to generate the necessary
color scale. This however should be well within the mathematical grasp of
any scientist I should think. The examples I posted previously that reproduce
popular Matlab color scales should be plenty to work with as examples to get
started.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/