From: Shirley Li (li19104_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 10:14:34 CDT

Hi John,

When the machaine becomes unreponsive at step "Encoding", "top"gives the usage of %MEM/SIZE/RSS as 82.3%/530M/413M. After the "Encoding"step is done, the usage changes into 1.5%/70960/8204.

Thank you.

Have a great day.

Shirley

John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

Hi,
When you saw those total/used/free values, what was your swap size?
I.e. what does 'top' give for memory usage stats when the machine
is unresponsive as you're describing. It is quite possible that the
"free" memory is only due to large amounts of swap being used... :)

> > http://mail.yahoo.com

Email: johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu Phone: 217-244-3349
WWW: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/ Fax: 217-244-6078