From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 18 2021 - 12:02:21 CDT

Hi,
  The newer version of Tk (and thus TkCon) for MacOS is trying to
implement a default background behavior that matches your currently
MacOS X "light" or "dark" theme.

For TkCon specifically, I suggest trying the .tkconrc approach and
set the ::tkcon::COLOR(bg) property and see if it works for you or not:
  http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man5/tkconrc.5.html

It may or may not work, due to the way new versions of MacOS interact
with cross-platform GUI toolkits like Tk.

This paper is worth reading, as it summarizes a bunch of the recent
challenges that had to be overcome to get Tk working on Catalina and
later revs of MacOS, and part of the discussion discusses schemes to
to deal with the new "semantic colors" associated with MacOS X
"light mode", "dark mode", etc themes:
  https://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2019/assets/talk168/Paper.pdf

Best regards,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/