From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 13:45:20 CDT

Hi Troy,
  In order to get the GUI-oriented plugins to show up in your extensions
menu, you'll need to do some slightly trickier things. The instructions
on the web site really only cause the new molfile plugins to be loaded.
I'm still working on improving this system to make updates like these
easier. In the mean time, I'm updating that page to include better
instructions.

You shouldn't have to manually change that to /home/wymore/plugins, since
it should evalute $env(HOME) to get /home/wymore anyway.
In order to add the new molfile plugins to your VMD 1.8.2
installation, add these exact lines (verbatim) to your .vmdrc:
    menu main on
    vmd_plugin_scandirectory [file join $env(HOME) plugins [vmdinfo arch] molfile] *.so

In order to see the new APBS plugin, you'll have to add a bit more:
  global tk_version

  lappend auto_path [file join $env(HOME) plugins [vmdinfo arch] tcl]
  lappend auto_path [file join $env(HOME) plugins noarch tcl]

  if { [info exists tk_version] } {
  if { [catch {package require apbsrun} msg] } {
    puts "VMD APBSRun package could not be loaded:\n$msg"
  } elseif { [catch {menu tk register "apbsrun" apbsrun} msg] } {
    puts "VMD APBSRun could not be started:\n$msg"
  }
  }

Let me know if you have any trouble getting this working.
I'm going to update the plugins page today with this
information.