From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2021 - 22:43:04 CDT

Hi,
  VMD currently supports either STRIDE or DSSP to calculate secondary
structure. Both programs expect that the VMD molecul'es atom names/resid/etc
all correspond to the naming conventions used by the PDB. If you have
non-PDB atom names etc, then these programs will return an error and will
refuse to assign secondary structure for your molecule. You can use VMD
scripting commands to assign or rename any of the parts of your structure
that are missing the appropriate naming. This specific issue has been
discussed on VMD-L in the past, and I think Axel Kohlmeyer even wrote
some example scripts to show people how to efficiently do this renaming
at one point previously, since other LAMMPS users have had the same issues.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/