From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2021 - 13:52:41 CDT

Hi,
  Aside from what others have mentioned, a concern with transparent
or reflective geometry is whether you have a case where two surfaces
exactly overlap each other. In the real world you can't have two things
occupying the same space, but in a tool like VMD you can create cases
where surfaces are either unintentionally duplicated (e.g. two of the same
representation) or where they happen to coincide with some perfectly overlapping
triangles. This can cause a huge drop in performance and/or deadlock if
multiple transparent surfaces overlap in just the right way, particularly
if you're very near the limits of floating point precision for the ray-surface
intersection calculations required. I would suggest checking to see if you
have any duplicated or nearly-exact overlapping transparent surfaces,
and try to eliminate them.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/