From: Paweł Kędzierski (pawel.kedzierski_at_pwr.edu.pl)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2021 - 10:55:22 CDT

Dear Igor,
Changing the user name does not change the name of the underlying
folder. I believe the same goes for changing the system language,
because what you change is only the user interface/presentation layer
and the filesystem uses language-agnostic unicode. And I do confirm that
VMD has problems with national characters in the paths. What we see in
your pasted path are characters from DOS default codepage 437 which is
evidence of translation of multibyte encoding to DOS-era one byte
character table.

The simplest solution is to make a folder somewhere else, e.g.
C:\vmd_work using just ascii characters (and no spaces IIRC) and work there.
Cheers,
Pawel