From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon May 10 2021 - 01:01:05 CDT

Hi,
  FYI, I recently tracked down a memory corruption flaw in AutoPSF which is
almost certainly the cause of the problem reported here.

The flaw had been in the AutoPSF code since it was originally written,
but it started creating the kind of hanging behavior reported here,
and crashing in other cases, particularly with the new revs of MacOS
and certin versions of Ubuntu Linux.

I'm currently tracking down an unrelated but similar type of bug in the
psfgen plugin, and after I've got that resolved, I plan
to post new VMD builds for all platforms.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/