From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 29 2021 - 14:37:42 CST

Hi,
  If your density map includes potentials within the VDW radii of
the atoms in the system and you want to screen out those points, you
could try using the various VMD volumetric processing commands to
create a mask map from a synthetic density map, and then use the mask
map to zero out the potentials for grid poins within the atoms themselves.
I don't know what file format(s) you may be using so I'm not sure which
of the volumetric manipulation tools are the best match.

Alternately, another (easier) way of dealing with those is to override
the autoscaling of the color scale data range for the volume, and set
your own min/max data values used for the color scale. I don't know what
your electrostatic potential units are in your case, but you could pick
reasonable min/max potential values, and set them in the
"color scale data range" fields of the "trajectory" tab in the VMD
graphical representations window.

Let us know if you have further questions about these ideas.

Best regards,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/