From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 16:06:46 CDT

Hi,
  There's presently no built-in way to customize the labels
displayed for selected atoms, but you can use the "draw text" command
to place your own labels in your scene if you wish, which would give
you complete freedom in the text format, shape, size, and color.

Here's a very simple example script that labels residues with
custom label text:

proc labelresidue { residueselection labeltext } {
  set sel [atomselect top "$residueselection and name CA"]
  set positions [$sel get {x y z}]
  set num [$sel num]
  for {set i 0} {$i < $num} {incr i} {
    draw text [lindex $positions $i] $labeltext
  }
  $sel delete
}