From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat May 23 2020 - 02:09:17 CDT

VMD has a simple .ply reader, but I don't remember whether
or not it has been tested with much variety of surface
meshes other than for a model of the CERN LHC that the
plugin was used for. If you have an example .ply file
that you want to be able to load in VMD and can make it
available to me for testing, it would probably be pretty
easy to ensure it would load.

Best regards,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/