From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 26 2020 - 14:29:43 CDT

Hi,
  I'd rather it be a Tcl script and not modify the
platform-dependent startup. It makes no sense to put
this in MacOS-specific startup. We could use the exectool
plugin to do this during early Tcl startup as it already has
the mechanism for searching paths, and it can set the
VMDBABELBIN environment variable if it's not already set
by the user.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/