From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 03 2020 - 10:58:36 CDT

Hi,
  STL files do not have any material information. The original STL spec
contains only triangle surface information. STL is the oldest file format
used for 3-D printing and is very low-tech. If you want colors and/or
other shading/material information, I would suggest exporting the scene
using X3D, or Wavefront OBJ. I would think any modern printing software
would be able to import these or other more modern file formats.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/