From: David F. Green (dfgreen_at_ai.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 15:29:50 CDT

I would second that this seems to be a failing of psfgen to create a truly
CHARMM compatible PSF. I'm not sure exactly how psfgen works, but the
CHARMM forcefields are designed to have groups which are minimal numbers
of atoms summing to an integral charge. When PSF's are generated from
residue topology files using CHARMM, at the very least each residue is
defined as a single group. That's why the rather small maximum of 1000
atoms per group is in place .... even if a fairly large organic molecule
was contained in a single group, there would be much fewer than 1000
atoms, and all biopolymers should be defined as being composed of
individual monomers.

Perhaps the major issue is that psfgen is not designed to be used as a way
to generate PSF's for use in CHARMM, but that the "charmm-style psf" is
designed simply to have the same format that CHARMM would output. If you
really want to be doing your calculations in CHARMM, I would suggest using
the "generate" and "patch" commands to create the PSF.

| David F. Green | |
| Postdoctoral Associate | Phone: 617-253-5438 |
| Division of Bioengineering and Computer | Mobile: 617-953-3922 |
| Science & Artificial Intelligence Lab | Fax: 617-258-8682 |
| Massachusetts Institute of Technology | |
| 32 Vassar St., 32-211 | E-mail: dfgreen_at_mit.edu |
| Cambridge, MA 02139 | |