From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2019 - 08:41:53 CDT

Bart,
  I'm traveling so I only have a minute to answer, but I'll try
and give you a brief answer and add more details later if you're curious.
The main reason the ray tracing engines run faster than OpenGL is that
they benefit from spatial acceleration structures (bounding volume
heirarchies) that accelerate the core ray-object intersection search
by many orders of magnitude. Effectively, the acceleration structures
convert ray tracing from a linear time algorith with respect to the
number of objects in the scene, into a log(N) algorith with respect
to the number of objects in the scene. Rendering time is still roughly
linear with the number of pixels however, so you end up with someting
that's roughly Npixels Log(Nobjects) or so.

It is my goal to (optionally) replace rasterization with ray tracing in
the default VMD display, but to achieve this I still need to overcome
some performance hurdles associated with the construction and updates
to the ray tracing acceleration structures. Some very significant
ray tracing software API technology evolution is currently underway, and
I expect that I should be able to achieve this in the coming year if
things go as I expect.

I'm also expecting to speed up the rasterization display in VMD tremendously
in the near future by virtue of a native Vulkan renderer that won't
be hindered by unfortunate workarounds for buggy drivers, particularly
on platforms like MacOS X that barely have any OpenGL support anymore.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/