From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 05 2004 - 14:12:41 CDT

Dear Jacqueline,
  The 'mol clipplane' command is a new feature that has been undergoing
various changes, so we've been reticent to put much effort into documenting
it. As yet, it is only a text command and has no GUI counterpart.
The implementation in VMD 1.8.2 is simple and basically allows you to:
 - enable up to 6 user-defined clip planes
 - each clip plane has a status of '0' for off, '1' for on
 - each clip plane has an origin, and a normal direction which together
   completely specify its orientation.

We have changed some things in VMD 1.8.3 which alter the behavior
of clipping planes, even with the same parameters. If you just want
to use the implementation in 1.8.2 for the short-term, I can help you
use it.

Essentially, you enable a clipping plane like this:
  mol new 1e79
  mol clipplane center 0 0 0 {0 0 0}
  mol clipplane normal 0 0 0 {1 0 0}
  mol clipplane status 0 0 0 1