From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 10 2018 - 10:29:37 CDT

Hi,
  I already mentioned this in a separate email, but since I'm getting a
LOT of emails asking about when VMD will be available with RTX support,
I wanted to update the various VMD-L threads on the topic with the latest
information I currently have.

I've been testing pre-production RTX GPU hardware and RTX-enabled OptiX
and driver software since early August.

I have learned that there have been some unforeseen delays in the availability
of publicly available versions of some of the RTX software components that
VMD requires. As a result, the availability of an RTX-enabled VMD looks
like it will be delayed until early 2019 when final drivers will
become publicly available.

I am now planning on releasing the non-RTX VMD 1.9.4 builds after a
short beta testing period. Once the NVIDIA RTX software components
can be made publicly available, I will then release RTX-enabled
VMD 1.9.4 builds and/or a new version of VMD that adds further RTX features
beyond what I have built-into VMD 1.9.4 today. The VMD 1.9.4 source code
already contains RTX support, so my expectation is that as soon as
NVIDIA makes the software components publicy available, anyone would
be able to build RTX-enabled VMD binaries from the source.

Best regards,