From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2018 - 09:59:51 CST

Hi,
  Axel is correct, it looks to me like you have compiled VMD from source
but that you did not enable the GUI-related option flag (FLTK), so you
have produced a VMD binary that won't be useful except in a batch mode
without interactive display (e.g. vmd -dispdev openglpbuffer).
As Axel already stated, normal VMD builds are done with many more options.

Even the most minimal interactive VMD build should have at least these options
enabled if you want to use the GUI:
  LINUXAMD64 OPENGL OPENGLPBUFFER FLTK TK ACTC COLVARS TCL PTHREADS

>From that list you could live without ACTC and perhaps COLVARS, and PTHREADS,
but you're starting to cut into the bone at that point and you're actually
removing significant program features and optimizations.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/