From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2017 - 10:15:31 CDT

Hi,
  The trajectory smoothing option for graphical representations
doesn't presently affect the behavior of text labels, since they
are independent of any representations. To achieve the desired
result, at present you would need to compute the average text
label position for yourself, and then use the graphics "draw text"
commands to draw the label in your own script. I'll look into
the feasability of implementing a smoothing option for text labels,
but as I say, at present this is not built into VMD.

Best,