From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 23 2017 - 10:37:03 CDT

Hi,
  Are you able to run "glxgears" on your machine? If not, then you'll need
to ensure that your driver update was done correctly. The indications from
the VMD startup messages are that the graphics software stack on your machine
is inconsistent, which is preventing VMD from being able to create
graphics-accelerated OpenGL windows on your system.

Best regards,