From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 00:25:19 CDT

Hi,
  If you're familiar with the atom selection methods in VMD, the
atom selection text boxes in the contact map plugin work exactly
the same way. If you know which residues are hydro[phob/phil]ic you can
select them in the text boxes via resname/resid selections, or whatever
method will get you the right residues with the least typing :)

There are numerous atom selection examples in the VMD user's guide,
as well as the tutorials on that page:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/docs.html