From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2017 - 05:03:15 CDT

Got to my next airport, so I'll add a bit more commentary:
  Beyond seeing what the particular visual artifact is that is described
in your prior note (which didn't seem to make it to VMD-L?), I would warn
that you have to be careful with regard to which version of CUDA you
use when pairing that with OptiX. Certain OptiX versions only work
correctly with certain versions of CUDA, and the same goes for
particular GPU hardware. The symptoms of straying from the supported
version/hardware configurations can range from things not working to
various bizarre rendering issues. Also be careful that you don't accidentally
compile with one CUDA version but then have a different version earlier
in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or something similar. We've been doing lots
of movie rendering using the OptiX batch renderer in VMD 1.9.3 and
and I haven't seen any shadow rendering issues such as the one you
alluded to you the note you included below, so I would begin by
carefully checking your software versions first.

Cheers,
  John