From: Shirley Hui (shirleyhui_at_alumni.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 09:44:04 CDT

VMD is already capable of providing some level of analysis in that is able
to calculate RMSD values between structures etc (i.e. through the tcl
command or RMSD calculator), so it's not just a visualization tool. RMSD is
good if you are only interested in how similar two structures are
geometrically. But it doesn't give you an idea of how feasible the
structure is. An energy value would provide a better indication of this.
NAMD is capable of calculating these energy values I believe, but for the
most part it seems like alot of overhead to set it up just for a few
calculations?? Correct me if I am wrong as I have only read about or looked
into this and not tried it out myself.
As a result, I am also looking into other packages like MMTK that are not
visualization tools, but do provide means to calculate energy values in a
much more straightforward manner and can be plugged more "seamlessly" into
applications like Pymol.
I think energy calculations would be a great feature too add on to VMD as
most free visualization tools (that I know of) don't provide this kind of
analysis.
It would certainly put it up and above other free applications out there if
this functionality was available.
Thank you,
shirley