From: Brian Radak (brian.radak.accts_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2016 - 10:17:47 CST

By default, NAMD only writes checkpoint files after regular termination. If
you use "restartFreq <freq>" then restart files will be re-written every
<freq> steps and you can recover a crashed run from the most recent one of
these. Some things to consider:

1) Having a small value for restartFreq can dramatically reduce performance
2) You have to be mindful of redundant output to DCD and stdout whenever
DCDFreq and/our outputEnergies is smaller than restartFreq (which is almost
always the case)
3) I don't use this option a lot, but if memory serves, restartFreq causes
*two* sets of restart files to be written, since the normal termination
output goes to [outputname].coor/.vel/.xsc, whereas the "new" restart
output goes to [outputname].restart.coor/.vel/.xsc

HTH,
Brian

--
Brian Radak